The World of Abortion in DataClick on a country to find out more. You can also use the search form below.
- Considering socioeconomic grounds
- Permitted to protect a woman‘s mental health, as well as her life and physical health
- Permitted to protect a woman‘s life and physical health and sexual violence.
- Permitted only to save a woman‘s life, or the procedure is banned.
What we know
Globally, there is no official data. Most of the data collected is based on estimations. However, there are some things we do know by looking at all available sources:
- Abortion rates are not lower in countries where abortion is restricted
- The number of abortions is underreported
- In restrictive countries, the rates of unintended pregnancy are higher
Alkema, L., 2020. Unintended pregnancy and abortion by income, region, and the legal status of abortion: estimates from a comprehensive model for 1990–2019. Lancet Glob. Health 8, e1152–e1161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30315-6
Sedgh, G., Henshaw, S., Singh, S., Ahman, E., Shah, I.H., 2007. Induced abortion: estimated rates and trends worldwide. Lancet Lond. Engl. 370, 1338–1345. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61575-X
October 2020, K.R.// 01, 2020. Gender data: How expensive is it, really? [WWW Document]. Devex. URL https://www.devex.com/news/sponsored/gender-data-how-expensive-is-it-really-98193 (accessed 11.9.21).